Monday, October 13, 2014

Conditionals - Types



 

 Types of Conditional Sentences

Basically, there are four types of conditionals: 

1. Zero Conditionals
2. First Conditionals
3. Second Conditionals
4. Third Conditionals

[A] The Zero Conditional:
(if + present simple, ... present simple)
If you heat water to 100 degrees, it boils.

[B]  The First Conditional:
(if + present simple, ... will + infinitive)
If it rains tomorrow, we'll go to the cinema.

[C]   The Second Conditional:
(if + past simple, ... would + infinitive)
If I had a lot of money, I would travel around the world.

[D]  The Third Conditional
(if + past perfect, ... would + have + past participle)
If I had gone to bed early, I would have caught the train.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some examples:

1. First conditional:
If I have enough money, I will go to Japan.
2. Second conditional:
If I had enough money, I would go to Japan.
3. Third conditional:
If I had had enough money, I would have gone to Japan.
 ********************* ***

No comments:

Post a Comment